1. General Requirements
(1) Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens in good physical and mental health and possess a valid foreign passport;
(2) Applicants must possess a Master’s degree or an equivalent degree to a Master’s degree in China.
2. Language Proficiency Requirements
(1) HSK Level 6 (180 points or above).
(2) The only exception of the Chinese proficiency test requirement is for applicants who have obtained their highest degree in an institution where the primary language of instruction is Chinese. The official proof must be submitted.
(1) Applicants whose native language or official language is English are exempt from providing English language certification.
(2) Applicants whose native language or official language is not English are required to submit the results of the IELTS (6.0 or above), TOEFL (80 points or above, SDU’s DI code: C296), MyBest Scores (80 points or above) and Essentials test (8 points or above), or other equivalent certificates of English proficiency.
(3) Applicants whose native language or official language is not English and who have obtained their highest degree in an institution where the primary language of instruction is English, do not need to provide IELTS/TOEFL scores but must submit a letter of proof.
II. Application Time
The application dates for the Chinese Government Scholarship are from January 1st till March 31st, 2022;
The application dates for the Shandong University Scholarship for International Students (hereinafter referred to as SDU Scholarship) are from January 1st till March 31st, 2022;
The application dates for self-financed students are from January 1st till May 31st, 2022.
Note: The system will no longer be accessible after the deadline. To prevent a situation where applicants are unable to submit supplementary materials, applicants are advised to complete the application at least two weeks before the deadline.
III. Academic Programs
The Ph.D. programs that Shandong University offers to international students include Chinese-taught programs and English-taught programs. Applicants can only apply for one program. After the deadline for applications, applicants, in principle, cannot change the choice of their program. For more information on the P h.D. programs, please refer to the website: https://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/English/Programs/Degree_Programs/Doctoral_Programs.htm
IV. Application Procedures
Applicants must log in to the SDU Online Application System for International Students (http://www.apply.sdu.edu.cn ) in order to apply. The application information should be fully filled in and required documents have to be uploaded. No paper application documents need to be sent through the post.
V. Application Documents
1. The biographic page of the applicant’s passport (personal ordinary passport must be valid until at least October 31st, 2022).
2. Bachelor’s and Master’s degree certificates or pre-graduation certification. If the applicant has not received the Master’s degree yet, a pre-graduation certification should be presented to affirm the applicant will graduate soon (the official seal of the school must be affixed).
Note: Applicants who apply using a pre-graduation certification must state their expected graduation time and must obtain a graduation certificate before enrolling in September 2022.
3. Transcripts of all courses taken when pursuing a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree (the official seal of the school must be affixed).
4. Two recommendation letters from a professor(s) or associate professor(s) related to the applied major (or equivalent professionals with relevant academic title).
Note: Referrer’s name (signature), title, institution, phone number and email address are required on the recommendation letters.
5. A Letter of Motivation in Chinese or English
The motivation letter should be written in accordance with the requirements of the template (please click the link to download the template: https://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/info/1267/3340.htm). Applicants applying for Chinese-taught programs should write in Chinese, and applicants applying for English-taught programs should write in English.
6. Language Proficiency Proof
The language certificate must be within the validity period at the time of application. If applicants provide the proof which states that the entire program was given in English or Chinese, it has to be issued, signed and stamped by the university that administered the program.
7. Foreigner Physical Examination Form
Applicants must take physical examinations in strict accordance with the requirements of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form, which must be fully filled in (please click the link to download the template: https://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/info/1267/3354.htm). Incomplete forms or forms without signature of the attending physician, hospital stamp, and stamped photo will not be considered. Ensure your physical examination remains valid during the application as the result is valid for only 6 months.
8. Certificate of No Criminal Conviction (it must be within the validity period at the time of application).
9. Scanned copies of Statement of Financial Support through a Guarantor and its supporting documents (applicants for Chinese Government Scholarship are exempt from these requirements), including:
(1) Statement of Financial Support through a Guarantor, which should be filled in in Chinese or English (please click the link to download the template: https://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/info/1267/3315.htm) ;
(2) Bank Statement certifying that the applicant has sufficient funds to cover his or her tuition, accommodation, living expenses and international travels during his or her study in China;
(3) The scanned copies of the passport biographic page or I.D. card of the applicant’s financial guarantor (only the applicant himself/herself or his/her direct family can act as a financial guarantor).
10. Proof of employment (if applicable).
11. Table of contents and abstracts of academic publications (if applicable)..
12. Other supplementary materials required by Shandong University.
VI. Application Instructions
1. All the uploaded documents must be in Chinese or English. For documents in other languages, scanned copies of the original documents and the notarized translations in English or Chinese must both be uploaded. Please scan the original or notarized application documents in color using a scanner. Images captured by mobile phones or cameras will not be accepted. Handwritten documents will not be accepted with the exception of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form or signatures.
2. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
3. Shandong University reserves the right to require applicants to provide the original/notarized paper documents or the certification documents issued by the designated certification authority for further inspection.
4. Given that some countries' higher education systems are very different from the Chinese education system. Applicants from certain countries should refer to Annex.
5. Applicants should ensure that the application information and application materials provided are authentic and correct. Once the admissions or certification department verifies that something in the application is incorrect or fraudulent, the application or admission will be canceled. In the case the fraud is discovered after the student commenced his/her studies, it would lead to expulsion.
VII. Evaluation and Admission
Shandong University will select the best applications for admission. Video interviews can be a part of the application process for some majors. Admission results can be checked through the SDU Online Application System for International Students. The results for self-financed students will be declared before the 30th of June. Chinese Government Scholarship and SDU Scholarship applicants will be notified on the 1st of September at the latest. The admission notice and JW201/JW202 form will be sent to the admitted applicants by post by the International Admissions Office of Shandong University.
VIII. Registration Time
Admitted students are required to register at Shandong University according to the date stated in the admission letter. Upon registration, the original graduation certificate, language proficiency certificate and other required documents will be verified.
1. Application fee: 400 RMB (Applicants of the Chinese Government Scholarship are exempt from paying the application fee. Other applicants should pay after obtaining the pre-admission qualification.)
2. For tuition fees, please visit: https://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/info/1184/3034.htm.
3. Medical insurance premiums:
According to the regulations of the Chinese Ministry of Education, international students coming to China must purchase medical insurance in mainland China. The medical insurance fee is 800 RMB per year, per person. Students who have not purchased medical insurance will not be registered (Please log in to http://www.lxbx.net for insurance content and claims procedures).
Outstanding international students can apply for the following scholarships:
1. For detailed information of Chinese Government Scholarship, please visit:
2. For detailed information of Shandong University Scholarship for International Students, please visit:
3. For detailed information of other scholarships, please visit:
Admitted students must apply for a study visa at the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in their countries of residence with the Admission Notice and JW201/JW202 Form. International students who will study in China for less than 6 months should apply for the X2 Visa. International students who will study in China for more than 6 months are required to obtain the X1 visa. To stay in China legally, it is mandatory to apply for the Residence Permit within 30 days of arrival in China.
Address: Room C301, Mingde Building, Shandong University (Central Campus), No.27 Shanda Nanlu, Jinan, Shandong, P. R. China
Postal Code: 250100
Phone: +86 (0)531-88364854
Fax: +86 (0)531-88565051